In the summer months, up to half of all the waste collected from households is grass. Going Bagless is the number one way Edmontonians can reduce their waste.
Benefits of Going Bagless:
- Mow high so that no more than 1/3 of the grass blade is removed.
- Mow often; every 4-5 days during heavy growth and once a week when growth is slower.
- Mow when the grass is dry to prevent clumping.
- Make sure your mower blade is sharp.
- Sweep grass clippings that end up on the sidewalk back onto your lawn.
Share your Message Effectively
Try these strategies to help encourage your family, friends and co-workers to have healthy, environmentally conscious lawns.
Model the BehaviourGo Bagless when cutting your own lawn.
Make it Normal
Display a Go Bagless sign on your lawn if you have one and talk about it with friends, family and neighbours.
Offer Timely Prompts
When talking to family, friends and neighbours about lawns or outdoor chores, mention how cutting grass can be more efficient.
Give Positive Feedback
"Your lawn looks so healthy" or "Your go bagless efforts have reduced CO2 emissions".
Highlight the BenefitsWhen engaged in a conversation about going bagless, share the aforementioned benefits and be excited about your success when going bagless.