Yellow jacket wasps can be problematic this time of year.
To help prevent stings remember:
• Be careful not to disturb nests
• Never strike or swing at a wasp
• If a wasp gets close to you, move away slowly
• Avoid heavy, flowery perfumes, colognes or scents
• Drink sweet drinks from containers you can see into. If something end up in your mouth, tilt your head back, open your mouth, be still, and cross your fingers
• If a wasp gets into your vehicle, stay calm and stop in a safe place with as few quick movements as possible - use your hazard lights.
If you find a nest in your compost, avoid disturbing the pile until after the night time temperature drops below -10.
If you notice a nest, like the one hiding in the foliage above, near your garbage put-out or other public area, take the time to put up a sign alerting your collector and passers-by to the hazard.